Monday, November 9, 2009

Will the truth make you free?

You often hear people say the truth shall make you free, but what does that really mean? If you go with me in the Bible to the Gospel account of John 8:31-32 we see Jesus says to those Jews who believed on Him, "If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." These are the words of Jesus no doubt, however who did Jesus say these words to? You see many people just quote the 32nd verse by its self, when it is qualified with the previous verse. Jesus tells the Jews who believed on Him that if they were to follow His word, then they would truly be His disciples. Then and only then would you know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. But the truth of what? Also what were they free from? Immediately what pops into my head is freedom from sin, and the truth about sin. And in fact if you look in 8:34 Jesus tells them "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin." The freedom is the burden being lifted off you and having it nailed to the cross.
This new found freedom from sin however doesn't mean that as disciples we won't suffer any. It means that we will not be condemned by death but have everlasting life. As these final days close in on us, we Christians are going to suffer. When Saul of Tarsus was converted on the road to Damascus and the Lord was dealing with Ananias to lay his hands on Saul, Jesus told Ananias that He would show Saul many things he must suffer for His name's sake (Acts 9:16). Now, what exactly does the Word say we are going to suffer? For starters let's look at Luke 9:22-23. Jesus said, "The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.” Then He said to them all, “If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow Me." This means as disciples we need to be walking in Christ every day. He said deny himself, meaning deny temptations of your flesh. Everyday we all struggle with different temptations, but we must be strong and endure. Walking as a disciple of Christ is not always easy. Matter of fact, In 1 Corinthians 9:25-27 in the NIV Apostle Paul compares it to training for the Olympics. "Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize." You have to condition yourself day after day, night after night. Reading your Bible, going to church, interacting with other believers, even getting out and spreading the gospel to non believers. That is what it means to keep the sword sharp.
Now the other type of suffering is not the most favorite thing to talk about however it needs to be talked about. In 2 Timothy 3:12 Apostle Paul is quite clear about it. He says, "In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted," I believe this is what most Christians fear the most, being persecuted. When these times come, many are going to perish. Many are going to be weak and deny Jesus. This is why we as a church need to equip ourselves for spiritual warfare, by reading the Word of God everyday! This is what Jesus is talking about in Luke 12:8-10, "I tell you, whoever acknowledges me before men, the Son of Man will also acknowledge him before the angels of God. But he who disowns me before men will be disowned before the angels of God. And everyone who speaks a word against the Son of Man will be forgiven, but anyone who blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will not be forgiven." If you read on in verse 11-12 He says not to worry about what to say when those times come for the Holy Spirit will be with you to teach you.
These days ahead of us are exciting, however for some the days ahead are going to be scary. This is why it is so critical to read and understand and to ask questions to things you do not understand. All the things religion has opposed all these years could keep several from inheriting the kingdom of God. If you are afraid you need to get the sword out and start sharpening it. Stay fresh on the Word. Do not let the Spirit be quenched. You should be excited for what lies ahead for us Christians. Make no mistake about it, Jesus is getting His bride ready for His return. There is a stirring going on in the church (thanks Kevin), and if you haven't noticed then you better start doing some soul searching fast. Time is precious. Stay in the faith, trust in the Lord with all your heart, all your soul, all your mind, and all your strength. Know His voice and be led by His Spirit!

In Christ,

Eric R. Cox

Scriptures to meditate on: NLT Matthew 25:31-46

“But when the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit upon his glorious throne. All the nations will be gathered in his presence, and he will separate the people as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will place the sheep at his right hand and the goats at his left.
“Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the creation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.’
“Then these righteous ones will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ “And the King will say, ‘I tell you the truth, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!’
“Then the King will turn to those on the left and say, ‘Away with you, you cursed ones, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his demons. For I was hungry, and you didn’t feed me. I was thirsty, and you didn’t give me a drink. I was a stranger, and you didn’t invite me into your home. I was naked, and you didn’t give me clothing. I was sick and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’ “Then they will reply, ‘Lord, when did we ever see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and not help you?’ “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’ “And they will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous will go into eternal life."

No comments:

Post a Comment